While at the beach, do as the beachgoers do. Enjoy the smell of sea salt wafting in the ocean breeze. Treat yourself to a much-deserved mojito. But after a few cocktails, you may start to wonder whether you packed your favorite beach cover-up for the walk back to your room—and is it time to invest in one that's newer and more adventurous?
Although the cover-ups of yesteryear may have used less flattering patterns that left a lot to the imagination,1 today’s cover-ups live proudly by the saying anything goes.
Want to rock a leggy sarong? Sure! How about a halter dress that highlights your bronze shoulders? Absolutely.
If you’re looking for a little inspiration on what to wear over your swimsuit ahead of your next tropical getaway, here are seven swimsuit cover-up ideas to try.
#1 The Grecian Goddess Cover-Up
If you’re jet-setting across the seas and want a multi-use cover-up, this is the one. It features a floor-length maxi design and a billowing semi-sheer lightweight fabric that flows freely in the ocean breeze.
Whether you’re headed to the resort’s oceanview pool or covering up for a quick bite at the nearest five-star restaurant, the Lilly Detail Long Cover-Up is ideal for most summer activities.
Some of its other highlights include:
- Ivory-colored geometric shapes on the shoulder straps
- A semi-open back with adjustable back ties
Because of its long length and extra coverage, you can easily style this maxi dress up or down depending on your plans (and a few strategically organized accessories):
- Keep it casual – If you’re still daydreaming about the taco stands responsible for the mouthwatering smells wafting your way, throw on your comfiest pair of leather sandals and finish the look with a petite crossbody purse.
- Dress it up – When the sun goes down, it’s time to kick your wardrobe into high gear for a night of fun and frivolity. With the Lilly Detail Long Cover-Up, all you need is a pair of showstopping gold tulip earrings and a choker-style gold necklace to match.
#2 The Spicy Midi Skirt
Instantly turn your bikini into a statement ensemble with the Karen Midi Skirt. It offers a pareo design that wraps snugly around your hips.2 It also features a knotted side slit to elongate and show off your legs.
The classic off-white hue of this skirt makes it easy to mix and match with any color bikini top.3 And with five other colors to choose from, like lime and red pepper, who’s to say you can’t enjoy more than one?
With a few accessories, you and your sizzling cover-up will be ready to paint the town red:
- Keep it casual – Wear it with a pair of flat leather sandals and a woven visor to keep the sun off your face as you peruse the local markets or stroll down the Almafi beaches.
- Dress it up – Take your cover-up outfit to the next level for a night of coastal bar hopping with a pair of lace-up sandals and an adjustable gold bracelet.
#3 The Fun and Funky Cover-Up
You don’t need to cut your sunbathing short to go home and change simply because it’s lunchtime. With a stylish cover-up, you can go from basking in the rays to cooling off at the tiki lounge in no time.
With a dress-like feel and appearance, the Perola Knot Short Cover-Up does a beautiful job of turning your bikini-clad body into a bohemian work of art. And once your cover-up’s center knot is in place, you’ll be ready for whichever food establishment tempts you with its appetizing menu.
When it comes to this 60s-inspired groovy piece, there are plenty of notable features, including:
- Two convenient ways of wearing it, such as tying the center knot so it becomes a fitted dress or wearing it open like a flowy short-length kimono
- Three-quarter-length flute sleeves to give it a dramatic flair
- A plunging neckline that’s perfect for showing off your sunkissed skin and your favorite statement necklace
- A variety of colors to choose from to match whatever bikini-themed vibes you’re putting down
No matter where you end up, a few carefully selected accessories will set you up for a laidback day (or a more formal sightseeing adventure):
- Keep it casual – If you plan on staying near the water all day, you can look chic while doing it. With the recent revival of the bucket hat and a practical pair of flip-flops, you can confidently walk from the pool to the tiki bar in style.
- Dress it up – Do you hear that? It’s the after-hours luau calling your name. You can easily take your funky vibes to new heights with a few additions to your wardrobe. Add a colorful emerald pendant to your necklace or earring for a fun flair and complete the style with a pair of black lace-up sandals.
#4 The Short and Sultry Pareo
If you like the idea of wearing a hip-hugging wraparound skirt but are looking for something with slightly less fabric, look no further. The Karen Mini Pareo is the perfect piece that will check all of your boxes.
With a flattering twisted side slit, this mini pareo comes in seven colors. You can spice it up in black, blue-grey, camel, and more. The fabric makes for an easy-on-easy-off cover-up, so you’re ready for whatever exciting excursions come your way.
For the ultimate beach-worthy style, add a few accessories to elevate your look:
- Keep it casual – Slip on your favorite chunky sandals so you’re comfortable as you attempt to walk all 10,000 steps in an afternoon of sightseeing. And don’t forget to bring a woven beach bag—it’ll come in handy when you’re ready to kick it at the pool or claim your spot at the beach later.
- Dress it up – If you’re headed from back from your long beach day to the nearest upscale cocktail bar for margaritas with your gal pals, you can level up your summer cocktail attire look with a gold pendant necklace and a pair of leather strappy heels.
#5 The Boho Beach Babe Dress
Calling all boho beauties—we have the ultimate cover-up chanting your name. With its sheer knitted bodice and sultry low back, the Avery Short Dress will have you turning heads whether you’re setting up poolside in Malibu or tip-toeing through the white sand beaches in Tahiti.
This form-fitting mini beach dress accentuates your curves no matter your body type and is ready to take you from glam to full-on glam-o-rous. You can be ready for your next big island adventure in no time with a few key accessories:
- Keep it casual – Opt for a pair of sandals and a crossbody crochet slouch bag so you can explore the boardwalk shops in style.
- Dress it up – You’ll be ready to head out for a martini at the nearest rooftop bar after you’ve swapped the sandals for a pair of lace-ups with a low heel and a woven clutch.
#6 The Ready-for-Anything Cover-Up
With the Karina Mini Cover-Up, you can effortlessly take your favorite swimsuit from the comforts of your private cabana to more sociable waters (like the ceviche bar overlooking the picturesque backdrop of Santorini).
Its playful cherry red pattern adds a pop of color to any swimsuit while its flattering silhouette upgrades you from casual to sophisticated in the time it takes you to slip it on.
Some of its other noteworthy features include:
- A deep neckline that highlights your bathing suit or a low-hanging drop necklace
- A wrap-style cover-up with a sultry slit hem and side knot detailing
- An easy pull-on style with semi-sheer fabric
- A variety of color options, from monochrome to fun and flirty patterns like Malika and Maza
#7 The Mischievous Monochrome Dress
Whether you’re gearing up for a day of fun in the sun or you’re winding down after an afternoon of lounging in the pool, you’ll be ready for wherever the ocean breeze blows you in the Alice Short Chemise.
It’s classy, it’s sultry, it’s everything a cover-up should be, and more. It offers plenty of enticing features, including:
- A plunging neckline
- A tie at the waist to highlight your curves
- Three-quarter capped sleeves to keep the sun off of your sunkissed shoulders
- An above-the-knee tulip hemline that’s perfect for a stroll along a sandy beach or watching the sunset with your besties
Find Your Cute and Cozy Cover-Up with ViX
Even if you’re planning a short tropical getaway, it can be challenging not to want to pack five bathing suits, three dresses, and possibly a floor-length gown—just in case.
Cover all of your bases this summer with swimwear cover-ups from ViX.
While a glimmering gown might be a little much for a beach vacation, you can never have too many cover-ups. With ViX, you can choose from an array of lavish cover-up styles, from boho dresses and button-down shirts to sultry sarongs and chic caftan dresses—the sky’s the limit.
And why stop there? With luxury swimwear and stylish accessories for any occasion, we have everything you need for your next great escape.
Pack your bags in style with ViX.
- The Met. Beach Cover-Up. https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/83914
- LA Times. The Polynesian Pareo…It’s a Wrap. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-06-18-vw-4514-story.html
- InStyle. There Are More Ways to Style a Sarong Than You Think. https://www.instyle.com/fashion/accessories/how-to-tie-a-sarong