So you’re headed for a beach vacation. The Airbnb is booked, your crew is ready to jet, and this time (like you promised your mom) you picked up 10 travel-sized sunscreens to stash in your carry-on.
Now only one pressing question remains: which outfits will you bring to make the most of your trip (and deliver on that idyllic beach photo dump upon your return)?
Whether your trip itinerary includes poolside lounging, sunset boat trips, or getting your snorkel on in the ocean, our beach getaway style guide chronicles five stunning summer vacation outfit ideas built for soaking up the sun and is perfect for building your travel capsule wardrobe.
#1 The Jet-Set Jumpsuit
Don’t wait to arrive at your destination before dressing the part—every unforgettable beach vacation starts with an on-trend travel ensemble.
Set the tone for your getaway with a flirty, wearable onesie like the Yana Jumpsuit. The denim-inspired shade brings a casual feel, with feminine details like:
- Cute ankle ties
- Two subtle pockets for lightweight storage
- Spaghetti straps
- A ruched mermaid neckline to help you start feeling beach-ready
Every pro traveler knows planes can get chilly. We recommend styling the Yana with:
- Clothes – An ultra-soft sweater like the Teresa Sweater. With peek-a-boo knit details, it’s made from a cozy, relaxed fabric that won’t wrinkle if you throw it in your carry-on.
- Accessories – We love the look of sporty gold or silver hoops to compliment this jumpsuit’s open neckline. Or, make your décolletage sparkle with a white gold chain choker.
- Shoes – Strappy sandals that drift up the ankle will make a splash long before you hit the water. For a streetwear-inspired look (and to keep heavy sneakers out of your suitcase!) opt for fresh white high-tops or tennis shoes.
Before you fly, be sure to pair your onesie with the perfect carry-all to take with you on the road. If you need to clock a few hours WFP (working from plane), the Kefera Bag keeps your laptop or iPad close at hand.
Overnight flight? Say no more. An unstructured oversized tote lets you pack nighttime reads, phone chargers, and all the self-care products you need to help you feel fresh when you finally arrive.
#2 The Column Skirt Combo
You’ve made it off the plane, with your luggage (thank goodness) intact, and now you’re headed to your Airbnb. And whether item #1 on your agenda is hitting the beach or town to pick up toothpaste (oops), a skirt-top combo is the perfect outfit to get your summer vacation started.
The Clara Long Skirt does it best—a statuesque, ankle-length column skirt with ruching at the hips to flatter every figure. Two daring slits let you show off your legs and keep you cool during long beach days or humid island nights, with a double lining to ensure you only show off the assets you want to be seen.
There are two textiles to choose from:
- Linen Blend – Breezy and lightweight, linen is one of the best fabrics for hot weather. It also brings casual refinement to both day and night ensembles. Channel darling denim with a vivacious Periwinkle hue, or flaunt your tan with the muted gold Dark Desert.
- Silk Blend – Silk blends are ideal for heading out tiki bar hopping, with a subtle glossy fabric and a smooth, airy feel. Get your paws on the Maila pattern for a sultry, blue-black leopard print.
We love this column skirt paired with the following tops:
- For AM wear, a bandeau bikini top is ideal for dipping in and out of the water all day long
- As the golden hour approaches, reach for a 70s-style halter with a pleated scoop neck for a playful look and a bit of extra coverage
- Greet your first beach night with a slouchy, safari-inspired blouse that can keep you warm with a casual flair
As for accessories, complement the vertical, lengthening lines of a column skirt with dangly or drop earrings with a single gemstone. Strap on some olive suede sandals or brown leather heels, and you’re ready for a celebratory night 1 cocktail hour.
#3 The Dressed-Up Jogger
Dresses or skirts aren’t the only summer styles to maximize breezy vacation vibes! A pair of flowy pants strikes a pitch-perfect balance between the streetwear aesthetic and island resort vibes.
The Catia Pants are an ideal match for this look—chic, comfortable, and perfect if you’ve packed some rough-and-tumble activities on your agenda.
Take your pick with two colorful patterns:
The tapered ankle and relaxed fit of joggers make them ideal for biking through town or strolling down the beach at sunrise. Here are 2 ways to style them, day or night:
- Out and about town – To keep the Catia Pants casual, try a strappy sandal, a strappy tank top, and a classic denim jacket. The Dhara Detail Short Top is a gorgeous halter for daytime or evening wear, with a fresh twist-tie front to give your chest a bit of extra dimension.
- Cocktail hour – Style your joggers with a short sleeve wrap blouse in a matching color. The Alma Blouse shows off your shoulders, while the Jessie Short Sleeve’s cap sleeves grant a bit more coverage. Toss on a pair of wedges, and vòila! The perfect look for cocktails and oysters.
#4 The Grecian Wrap Dress
Dresses are perfect summer vacation outfit ideas. Why? They’re versatile and simple, keeping your packing list minimal and luggage light. For a timeless spin on the classic wrap dress, seek out a style that will leave you looking like a goddess.
The Gisa Short Dress marries bohemian beauty with Grecian elegance, featuring a flattering drape to complement every figure. The best part? With standard wrap dresses, it can be tough to get the tie right. The Gisa takes care of the grunt work for you, with a modesty clasp and attached skirt for easy wear and a perfect wrap every time.
Whether your vacation wardrobe palette skews neutral or vibrant, choose from seven fabulous textiles:1
Whichever hue is beckoning, here’s how we love to style this updated wrap dress:
- Clothes – Chilly after dark? Toss a voluminous long-sleeve blouse into your tote to cozy up and complement the drape of your dress.
- Accessories – The Gisa dress features braided straps with gold hardware accents. Turn up the glam factor by pairing it with gold earrings, bracelets, or a delicate gold anklet.
- Shoes – Worn during the day, strappy chunky sandals will create a casual but chic ensemble. Opt for open-toe heels to ramp up the look for date night.
#5 The Old Hollywood Mini Dress
If a posh hotel stay is calling for a glam look, reach for a strapless minidress with a tulip skirt.
Case in point: the Gil Mini Dress, designed with a flirty figure-hugging lined bodice and a feminine faux-wrap skirt. Accentuating your waistline, hips, and derriére, this style is perfect for occasions from late brunch to high-end dinners.
Select from two colors:
Both hues come in a linen blend—lightweight, soft, and one of the best textiles out there for keeping you cool in the heat.2
Here’s how we’d style it:
- Clothes – The prim, bodycon cut of this dress begs for a gossamer shawl to add a delicate touch. Left yours at home? No sweat. Try throwing your beach sarong from our best selling bikinis and coverups collection, over your shoulders to get the job done.
- Accessories – The Gil Mini Dress’s strapless neckline and simple silhouette offer an open canvas for you to accessorize. We love statement jewelry for emphasizing your collarbone (pro tip: dust some bronzer over your shoulders for an added summer glow).
- Shoes – A clean, white sneaker can look fresh with a casual jean jacket during the day. To transition to night, switch to espadrilles and a mini 50s-inspired bag a la Old Hollywood.
ViX: Give Your Closet the Vacation it Craves
A warm weather vacation is all about getting away from it all and indulging, whether you’re splashing out on nightly dinners or just enjoying the warm breeze caressing your skin.
ViX was founded to help you indulge all the senses, from feeling like a vision in a vibrant dress to the cool touch of our hand-crafted silk skirts. Our luxury designer swimwear brand has designs that are inspired by our Brazilian roots: striking, vivid, and made for waterside wear.
But you don’t need a boarding pass to explore your style. Shop our best beachwear finds to discover your closet’s most-loved swimsuits, accessories, knitwear, and more to help your closet hit the refresh button year-round.
- ViX Paula Hermanny. Fabric Guide. https://www.vixpaulahermanny.com/products/gisa-short-dress-bailey
- Vogue. Science Says Linen Is the Coolest Summer Fabric—But Can It Look Cool? https://www.vogue.com/article/chic-linen-shirts-for-summer
- Points Guy. Comparing Checked Bag Fees for Domestic Flights on Major US Carriers. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/comparing-checked-bag-fees-domestic-flights/
- U.S. News and World Report. Guide: Carry-on Luggage Sizes by Airline. https://travel.usnews.com/features/carry-on-luggage-sizes-size-restrictions-by-airline
- The Washington Post. How capsule wardrobes can simplify packing for trips. https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/08/25/capsule-wardrobe-travel-vacation/
- Britannica. Climate of French Polynesia. https://www.britannica.com/place/French-Polynesia/Climate