How to Style Long Skirts
Whether they’re flirty and flowing or structured and sleek, there’s so much to love about long skirts. They can be dressed up or down, come in endless different fabrics and patterns, and look incredible on every body. The long hemlines provide coverage, comfort, and fashionable freedom to every outfit. Feminine, elegant, and chic, long skirts are a wardrobe must-have for good reason. From date night outfits to casual brunch with your girls, maxi skirt outfit options are endless.
But long skirts reign supreme among separates for another reason: they work in just about every season. If you think long skirts are only for hot summer days, think again—long skirts also work wonders way beyond resort wear. Changing up the ways you layer and style your maxi skirts opens the door to an endless array of outfit options.
Here are some of our favorite ways to style midi and maxi skirts for effortlessly chic outfits you can wear anywhere.
#1 Casual Cover Ups
One way to style a long skirt outfit is to use it as a coverup. Nothing beats throwing a long skirt over your Brazilian swimsuit after a long day of surf and sun. If you’ve spent the morning lounging on a beach mat with a fashion mag and a mimosa but you’re ready to head to the cabana for a bite, throwing on a long skirt is the easiest way to keep your beach bunny vibes going strong.
Complete your casual glam bathing beauty look by coordinating with:
- A plum-colored Karen Midi Skirt and the exquisite 24k gold details of a matching Erin Chain Top
- A pair of casual and elegant beaded thong sandals
- Cat eye sunglasses to keep your irises safe from the rays
- A chic oversized tote to hold all your beach essentials
- A wide-brimmed sun hat for some stylish shade
Bringing a maxi skirt along can also provide an array of resort outfits for your vacation looks.
#2 Luscious Layers
One of the best things about long skirts is that they can carry you through all the seasons. When the days get shorter and nights get colder, maxi skirts layered with longer separates will warm you right up. Incorporating cozier fabrics will help you transition a gauzy summer skirt through seasonal weather changes. Pair your favorite maxi skirt outfit with an oversized sweater and ankle boots, or even knee high boots, for added style and comfort on colder days.
If you're wondering how to wear maxi skirt outfits for cool-weather style, try this:
- Pick your favorite flowing patterned maxi skirt, like the Micaela Midi Skirt.
- Pair with knee-high leather riding boots to add grounding sophistication.
- Add a cozy knit sweater to bring in texture and warmth.
- Top with a felted wool hat in deep wine or burnt orange.
- Add unexpected accessories like a leather wrap bracelet or solitaire diamond earrings.
- Carry an oversized canvas tote to take you from the farmer’s market to the pumpkin farm.
#3 Edgy Biker Chic
Long skirts aren’t only sweet and feminine—with the right accessories, you’ll be commanding the room with a smooth rockstar edge. Exude effortless cool by adding leather elements and fierce footwear for when you’re feeling the need to wear your inner strength on your literal sleeve.
Complete your edgy chic ensemble with:
- Your favorite structured long skirt
- A plain tank or graphic tee to bring a rockstar edge
- Biker-style ankle boots with studs or buckle details
- A black leather motorcycle jacket
- Bold jewelry like thick hoop earrings or a statement ring
#4 Curve Appeal
Long skirts aren’t just ideal for when you want a bit more coverage—in fact, a perfectly tailored, body-hugging maxi skirt can accentuate your curves.
A long skirt with a cinched waist and hip-hugging seams in all the right places will help you evoke a bombshell vibe, either as a casual cover up or as part of an elegant evening ensemble. Try pairing the high slit and ruching details of our Clara Long Skirt with simple separates for a sexy yet easygoing outfit that exudes femininity.
Here’s how to build your bombshell look:
- Our Yana Top perfectly complements the skirt’s sultry femininity.
- A strappy wedge sandal gives you an extra lift.
- Carry a neutral clutch to hold your rum raisin lipstick.
- Leave your hair long and loose with a flirty bounce.
- Add dangling earrings for subtle sparkle.
#5 Modern Colorblock
Stay right on trend by using your long skirt as a modern colorblock focal point. Our Vicky Long Skirt sports a subtle colorblock in blendable neutrals like black and blush with a center slit, curved hem, and topstitch detailing. The high waist and hip-hugging fit make it a perfect choice for any occasion, from casual to cocktail hour.
Play up the color block of the Vicky skirt with:
- Strappy rose gold gladiator sandals
- A sleek black sleeveless top (to keep that skirt the center of attention)
- Thick rose quartz bangles to pull in additional blush accents
- A black and pink barrette and a sleek top knot to keep the look modern
- A coordinating neutral clutch
- Bold eye makeup and a neutral lip
#6 Dressed-Down Street Style
Maxi skirts are so versatile, they can replace even your most beloved pair of worn-in denim for casual-cool street appeal. You can easily dress down a long skirt if you’re looking for easy breezy everyday wear to take you from the dog park to dinner.
Ways to dress down your long skirt:
- Tuck in a plain white tank or fitted graphic tee.
- Slip on some sneakers to keep your feet comfy.
- Pair with a denim jacket to give the look a carefree casual vibe.
- Carry all your necessities in a laidback cross-body bag.
- Try a high ponytail or messy bun to keep your hair secure.
#7 Day to Night Transition
A simple long skirt in comfortable, luxury materials is the perfect wardrobe staple for every style and occasion. Your maxi skirt can take you from a day at the office to a night on the town with just a bit of layering (or un-layering).
If you’re on the go all day and need an easy transitional look, pair an elegant long skirt with a silk camisole top, block-heeled strappy sandals, and a long gold rope necklace. Adding a tailored blazer makes your ensemble instantly workplace appropriate, and removing the jacket will have you looking alluring after-hours.
You can put the cherry on top this transitional outfit by adding just a few extra touches, such as:
- A sultry red lip
- An extra swipe of eyeshadow and mascara
- Some cute bracelets or bangles
- A claw clip to sweep back your hair
Long Skirt Styling Tips And Tricks
If you’ve got your sights set on a must-have maxi skirt, you can build your outfits around the long skirt by keeping some suggestions in mind when styling your stunning ensemble. When you’re thinking about how to style long skirts, remember these tips and tricks:
- Know your venue – An important style tip to always remember is to know what you're getting dressed for. Are you planning to stroll the boardwalk, popping in and out of artisan shops? Or do you have a hard-to-get reservation at a glamorous restaurant? Long skirts work well for any location, but the venue and the mood will give you a clue on the best ways to dress them up or down.
- Find your footwear – With hemlines that skim the ankle or even go right to the floor, choosing the right shoes for your maxi skirt is a must. The length of the skirt draws the eye to your feet, so be sure to select footwear that fits your style. The great news is that you can get creative with maxi skirts, whether you choose to wear heels, boots, or even sneakers.
- Top it off – The type of shirt or top you choose can totally transform the look of your maxi skirt. A bustier or bandeau will give off beach bombshell vibes, while a flowy printed blouse evokes ethereal elegance. Whichever top you choose, select a style that blends with the vibe of the skirt.
- Accent with accessories – Completing your long skirt look with the right accessories is essential. Whether you go with a wide-brimmed hat and rattan tote or oversized hoop earrings and stacked bangles, the right jewelry, hats, sunglasses, and bags will make you look perfectly put together when paired with your favorite midi and maxi skirts.
- Material Matters – Take your skirt material into consideration when planning the perfect outfit. If it’s a flowy, sheer skirt, you might want to add a grounding element with a sturdier structured top like a bustier. If your long skirt is a more form-fitting knit, think about bold accessories that will play up the shape without being overshadowed.
Maximize Your Long Skirt Style with ViX
The different styles of Long skirts can be worn in so many ways while looking elegant, sophisticated, and effortless. With endless outfit variations and ways to dress them up or down, you won’t have to wonder how to style long skirts—because the possibilities are infinite. And chances are, you’ll notice their versatility as soon as a long skirt (or three) makes it into your wardrobe. Suddenly, your existing separates have a whole new world of pairing possibilities.
Whether you’re looking for a long skirt to wear on a luxury cruise with your love or on a girls’ trip to the tropics, ViX has the styles you love made with quality craftsmanship and loving detail.
Maxi, midi, or mini, our skirts are perfect for resort wear and beyond. And when you’re building a resort wardrobe for your next holiday, don’t forget to add our designer swimwear and luxury accessories for outfits that will make you the belle of the beach.
- Elle. The 10 Fashion Trends You Need to Know About (and Shop) This Winter. https://www.elle.com/fashion/trend-reports/a41233140/winter-2022-fashion-trends/
- InStyle. Jennifer Lopez Is Correct — 2022 Is the Year of the Maxi Skirt. https://www.instyle.com/fashion/clothing/maxi-skirt-trend-2022