As the temperature rises and the sun shines brighter, wedding season is in full swing. As much as we love a summer ceremony, outdoor locations and unpredictable weather can make finding the perfect outfit a balancing act. Not only do you want to look stylish and sophisticated, but you also want to feel confident and sexy in your summer wedding attire.
But don’t lose your cool—we’re here to save the day with 6 summer wedding outfits that will have you turning heads.
From figure-hugging to flowy, these outfits hit all the right notes to blend elegance and allure. Whether you're attending a swanky black-tie soirée or a chilled-out beach wedding, we've got a stylish option that will have you saying yes to your wedding guest dress.
#1 Beachy Chic
For a beach wedding dress code, you can be a bit more daring with plunging necklines, cut-outs, and open backs. Lightweight fabrics like charmeuse, crepe, or viscose are also a must for comfort in sunny locales.1
The Lidia Detail Midi Dress in Zen blue checks all the boxes including the box of being made with responsibly souced fabric so you can look and feel good in what you wear. The cut-out bodice and halter neckline paired with sleek, breathable, curve-skimming viscose fabric are ideal for enjoying the sand and surf.
How to Wear It
- Top it off – If that beach wedding might get a bit chilly after dark, add a lightweight shrug in chiffon or linen. Choose a soft beige, cream, or greige to fit with the beachy color palette.
- Shoes – Add a strappy sandal with a chunky heel for the day, or a delicate kitten-heel pump for a more dressed-up evening look.
- Accessories – For that laid-back island vibe, keep your accessories on the simpler side with a dainty bangle bracelet, hoop earrings, and a woven straw bag in a neutral tone.
#2 True Blue Style
Summer weddings demand outfits that mix sophistication with breezy, not-too-straightlaced style. To get this look, you can’t go wrong with a flowy maxi featuring lots of detailing in the construction, like the Angelina Detail Long Dress in Blue Jeans.
This outfit combines the soft, cerulean hue of your favorite blue jeans with structured rows of mother-of-pearl buttons and sultry side cut-outs for plenty of femininity.
How to Wear It
- Top it off – Add a simple gauzy wrap for the daytime. For evening or a more formal dress code, try a fitted blazer for a polished look.
- Shoes – For a more casual dress code, wear it with low-heeled or flat sandals. To dress it up, add a touch of shimmer with a pair of strappy high heels in a metallic tone.
- Accessories – With this dress, you can keep accessories minimal and let the intricate mother-of-pearl button detailing speak for itself. Add an understated pair of pendant earrings and a matching necklace, and pair with a clutch in a neutral shade, such as black or beige.
#3 Bold Color Meets Feminine Sophistication
Big, bright color is never out of place at a summer wedding, no matter the dress code.2 If you want to make a wedding guest splash (without upstaging the bride, of course), the Gracie Detail Long Dress in Cactus green is an utterly sophisticated choice.
The waist cut-outs and crushed gold pendant at the heart of the plunging neckline seamlessly blend sultry sex appeal with high-end luxury.
How to Wear It
- Top it off – Add a floral-print shawl or scarf for even more color, or tone it down with a sheer wrap in black or silvery gray.
- Shoes – For a daytime wedding with a more casual dress code, style it with low-heeled sandals in a natural tone. For a more formal wedding dress code, go for a high heel in black or metallic tones.
- Accessories – A straw clutch is a cute, casual accessory for an informal dress code. Opt for a sparkly beaded clutch for the evening or more formal affairs.
#4 Posh in Pink
Headed to a wedding with a tropical or casual dress code and want to stand out? Try a long-sleeved mini-dress in an eye-catching color.
Our favorite is the Carina Short Dress in Diani pink. The covered-up high neckline and long sleeves make an enticing contrast with the sexy lace-up side cutouts and daring mini-dress length.
How to Wear It
- Top it off – With long sleeves and a round neckline, your upper body will already be covered up in this dress, so it’s best to skip the wrap with this one.
- Shoes – Pair with wedge-heeled sandals in a contrasting color for a bold statement, or go for a neutral black or tan for a more toned-down look.
- Accessories – A choker-style chain necklace and a pair of dangling glittery earrings are the perfect pieces to draw eyes up from the high neckline to your face. A chain-strap bag in a neutral tone works for either formal or informal dress codes.
#5 Slinky Semi-Formal
Got a wedding invite that calls for a semi-formal or dressy casual dress code? Go for an ankle-length, form-fitting dress in a subtle, toned-down color paired with a wedge or low heel.
The Daisy Detail Long Dress in Rust strikes the perfect balance—it’s sleek, sensual, and elegant, with sophisticated color, a flattering fit, and a subtle keyhole neckline.
How to Wear It
- Top it off – Pair it with a lightweight, fitted linen jacket in beige or cream for a more formal feel. Or go stick with a flowy, off-the-shoulder wrap for a less dressed-up look.
- Shoes – Keep the attention on the elegant lines of the dress with a pair of delicate lace-up sandals in a coordinating tone.
- Accessories – The neckline of this dress is already embellished with a halter-style rope tie, so you don’t need to add a necklace. Instead, add a pair of statement earrings and a stack of bangle bracelets.
#6 Black-Tie Beauty
Looking for an outfit that’s brimming with sheer elegance to fit an evening wedding or a black-tie dress code? Go for a maxi-length off-the-shoulder dress in black—it’s a timeless style that’s always in season.
The Carina Detail Long Dress in black is the perfect choice for this look. The asymmetrical one-shouldered silhouette and laced side cutout are guaranteed to make waves.
- Top it off – Add a shimmery, lightweight wrap in a dainty lightweight fabric like satin, tulle, or silk for maximum feminine allure. Or top it with a structured jacket to amp up the sophistication.
- Shoes – Try strappy heels in a metallic tone for a more laid-back finish. Or slip into your favorite pair of sky-high heels in a contrasting color to add a bold edge.
- Accessories – The off-the-shoulder neckline demands a sleek collar-style necklace. Add a glittery pair of drop earrings to draw more attention to the dramatic neckline.
Summer Wedding Dress Codes Decoded
One aspect of choosing a wedding guest outfit can give guests cold feet, and that’s interpreting the dress code. When in doubt, the best rule of thumb is to go for dressier over casual. You’re less likely to feel overdressed than underdressed.
Here’s a quick primer on the dress codes that you might encounter:2
- White tie – The most formal dress code for a wedding. For men, it typically requires a black tailcoat, black trousers, a white wing-collared shirt, a white bow tie, and black patent leather shoes. Women are typically expected to wear a full-length, formal gown.
- Black tie – Slightly less formal than white tie, but still very dressy. For men, a black tuxedo, black bow tie, and black patent leather shoes are expected. Women can wear a full-length gown or a fancy cocktail dress.
- Formal or Black-Tie Optional – Less strict than black tie. Men can wear a tuxedo or a formal suit, while women can wear a full-length gown or a dressy cocktail dress.
- Cocktail attire – Appropriate for weddings held in the evening. Men can wear a dark suit and tie, while women can wear a cocktail dress or a dressy skirt and top.
- Semi-formal or Dressy Casual – Less formal than summer cocktail attire. Men can wear a suit and tie or dress pants and a button-up shirt, while women can wear a dress or a skirt and blouse.
- Casual – Opt for something comfortable but still presentable. Men might wear slacks and a button-up shirt, while women can wear a sundress or a skirt and blouse.
- Tropical or Destination – This typically means a beach or outdoor summer wedding. Men can wear a light-colored suit or dress pants and a linen shirt, while women can wear a sundress or a skirt and blouse in a tropical print.
- Concept Style/Themed – This is a newer dress code that’s specific to the wedding’s theme. This could be anything from a 1920s Gatsby-style party to a Star Wars-themed wedding. Check with the couple for guidance on what to wear.
- Come As You Are – This is the most casual and relaxed dress code—think backyard or rustic wedding. It means that you can wear whatever you feel comfortable in, whether that’s jeans and a button-up shirt or a sundress.
Heat Up Any Summer Wedding with ViX
With these 6 stylish looks, you're all set to slay your next summer wedding. Whether you opt for a flowy maxi dress or fitted mini, the key is to strike a balance between style and comfort, so you can hit the dance floor all night while looking chic.
When you’re ready to put together that perfect look that puts your personality front and center, ViX is the only stop you’ll have to make.
The ViX collection of luxury resort wear is carefully curated to include only pieces we know will make you feel beautiful and confident, no matter the occasion. Let ViX help make the next summer wedding one to remember with a special look that’s bold, beautiful, and 100% you.
Heading to a tropical vacation? ViX has also got you covered with some swimsuit cover up ideas.
- The Knot. Exactly What to Wear to a Summer Wedding in 2023. https://www.theknot.com/content/what-to-wear-summer-wedding
- Brides. Every wedding dress code, explained. https://www.brides.com/story/wedding-dress-code-explained