The Top 8 Fashion Trends of 2023
As 2022 draws to a close, many of us are daydreaming about our plans for 2023. And while we all have those annual “vegetables” on our list (getting around to laundry every week; maybe actually eating more vegetables), we all deserve at least one “dessert” New Year’s Resolution.
Our vote? Get a headstart on 2023, style-wise.
We’re already watching designers and street style scene-stealers augur what’s to come in the year ahead, from beach wear as everywhere-wear to shapes and shades reserved for fashion’s boldest. So whether you’re searching for vacation outfits women are wearing this season or versatile spring outfits that can be styled for any occasion, these picks are just right for you.
This eight-point forecast will spot 2023’s hottest key trends before they hit a closet near you.
This isn’t your mom’s business blazer. From fashion show runways to street styles, the blazer has proved it's here to stay. Continuing the fashion trend of the last few years, 2023’s trendiest blazers:
- Are slouchy, loose, and deconstructed
- Have a drape that falls straight from the shoulders (rather than cinched-hip business suits that dominated 1980s office culture)
Even high-fashion designers like Valentino are getting in on this slouchy blazer look for 2023.1 And it’s no shocker why this trend is so popular—blazers are inherently versatile. But this year, they’ll be the throw-it-over-everything staple to complete any look.
Try layering a vintage or freshly-purchased piece over:
- Matching two-piece sets with trousers or skirts
- A feminine, romantic blouse
- Lived-in band tees
- Baby-colored silk camisoles
- Plain white cotton tanks
- Crop tops
You’ll find blazers in practically every color of the rainbow, but to get the most mileage out of yours, we recommend going for a neutral shade—just one that’s slightly more unusual than the typical black or British tweed.
Our vote? Pistachio—an up-and-coming “new neutral” for 2023. The Roberta Blazer goes with practically every shade in your wardrobe, but it’ll feel fresher than your run-of-the-mill neutrals.
Ruching detail is getting a major makeover from the world of sports and loungewear. Drawstrings—typically reserved for places like the elastic waistband of your workout shorts—are now welcome on everything from everyday blouses to gowns worthy of the Met gala.2
In Resort 2023 collections, designers showed looks featuring this athletic-staple sewing pattern. But for your drawstring to reach high-fashion levels, look for clothing that features one in unexpected placements like:
- Along the arms
- Near a skin-showing cutout
- Along the neckline
- In the back, corset-style
The Nayara Detail Long Dress features two flirty ties between a plunging neckline and cheeky waist cutouts. The lived-in, relaxed feel is accented with 24k gold-plated end caps—a luxurious detail that keeps the look elevated.
Several designers and color experts have proclaimed that purple—in particular, a light, lavender purple—will be all the rage this year.
According to trend forecaster WGSN, digital lavender is about to be everywhere because the color represents “wellness and digital escapism.”3 And designers agree, with everyone from Versace to Khaite to Prabal Gurung calling on purple for their Spring 2023 collections.
The takeaway? If you’ve been dealing with social media overload or you dream of getting off the grid, light purple isn’t just a way to calm and ground your psyche—it’s also an easy way to hop right into this quintessentially 2023 trend.
#4 Unexpected Skin
Fashion trends are getting more futuristic every year, and the art of showing skin is getting that much more inventive. No longer are peek-a-boo keyholes limited to the neckline—today’s designers are offering unexpected cutouts in places like:
- The shoulders – If your tastes veer more towards the sweetheart, you can still opt into the trend with a peekaboo shoulder look, like on the Jade Detail Midi Dress.
- The torso – If you’re not ready to commit to full-on holey clothing, consider starting with something like a slash across the waist, as seen on the Scarlet Midi Dress. The asymmetry alone is eye-catching, and it’s gorgeous for emphasizing an hourglass figure.
Whether you’re drawn to subtle sex appeal or dramatic, dystopian Mad Max-style cutouts a la Eckhaus Latta, there’s a skin-showing option for every style.4
As for where to wear it? We think the look is a perfect date-night option when out on the town.
#5 Think Pink
Blame it on Barbie: In one of the hottest 2023 fashion trends, designers are thinking pink. Sure, bright colors are trendy again, but the Barbie pink shades have become a special inspiration for everyone. The 2023 runway shows were swarmed with bubblegum pink—notably, just before the release of the much-hyped film Barbie. And in the world of social media, the #barbiecore hashtag has garnered some 6.9 million views on TikTok.5
So, how to wear this ultra-girly color while keeping it sophisticated? We recommend:
- Elegant, tailored linen trouserslike the Ully Pants. These are a sophisticated and playful take on Barbiecore. Pair it with a matching pink top for the pinnacle of the pink fashion trend.
- Playing with ultra-pink details with your accessories. Fuschia heels, a baby pink purse, or even a pink headscarf let you enjoy color while ensuring the rest of your look stays polished.
In other words, you don’t need to go full-on hot pink lycra to get in on the trend. Stick to crisp cuts, upscale fabrics, or dashes of color, and CEO Barbie couldn’t have done it better herself.
In 2023, a notable new addition to the usual resort collection aesthetic was the stiff button-up shirt.
Typically associated with office buildings, meetings, and business, the white collared button-up is getting a shot at the fun life in 2023. Haute designers like Rosie Assoulin, Tanya Taylor and even Chanel let their button-ups hang loose in new resort collections.6
But as a resort piece, this on-the-clock staple gets a fun, casual revival by:
- Layering it into that adds some unexpected panache.
- Pairing it with luxury designer swimwear on your way to and from the beach. Think of this as a creative yet on-trend spin on the layering trend.
When it comes time for dinner, tuck your button-up into a flowing maxi skirt. With the sun melting along the horizon behind you, you’ll be radiating one of the trendiest looks at the resort.
#7 Impossible Length
Maxi skirts, maxi dresses, maxi coats, maxi sweaters: ”the longer, the better” is still the motto going into 2023.
The trend began showing up on runways last year and has returned stronger than ever, with designers like Jil Sander, Blumarine and Saint Laurent giving us modern and ultra-sexy versions of the silhouette.
Maxi-length skirt hemlines can often seem a bit intimidating to style if you’re new to this trend. But it doesn’t matter how much fabric you’re working with—just bear these few maxi skirt styling tricks in mind:
- Footwear is key – When your hem reaches the floor, it brings extra attention to your shoes. While you may be tempted to go for footwear that’s as inconspicuous as possible, don’t be afraid of an unexpected styling choice—like a flowing chiffon skirt with a riding boot. The contrast between the light skirt and the workwear boot can add a stylish twist to your outfit.
- Choose the right partner – If you’re styling a maxi skirt, what you wear on top can make or break the outfit. This season, designers couple flowing jersey maxi skirts with sleek fitted hoodies and sharp-shouldered, structured coats. Take a hint from the runway and play with opposites as you style.
- Remember accessories – Oversized or loose maxi cuts have a tendency to visually drown our silhouettes, which makes belts your best friends. Bust out a thick belt and cinch it to define your waist. Not only will this add interest to your outfit, but it’ll flatter your shape gorgeously.
- Don’t be afraid of skin – When the entirety of your legs are covered up, you have some room to bare it all up top. For a chic beachside look, pair your maxi skirt with a bikini top that highlights your decolletàge.
With the long, floor-grazing hemlines of this year, you can enter any room with confidence (while your skirt sashays along with you).
#8 New Neutrals
Designers and fashion mavens are looking for all things new in 2023. And if you’re ready to redefine yourself alongside them, it’s time to throw out the rules of the old style playbook—including the way we look at basic color.
Translation? Instead of white, opt for ecru. Instead of black, try army green.
These new neutrals come in an array of khaki-colored shades, running the gamut from eggshell to olive to tan. And they look especially fantastic when paired with one of the brighter items of clothing in your closet—accessories included.
Channel 2023’s Style Vibe with ViX Swimwear
Whether you’ve been inspired by summer and spring fashion show runways or your favorite influencer, the new year won't be short of fashion trends. Wherever you look, individuality is taking over every stylish corner of 2023, from designer runways to TikTok style stars. But no matter the year, nothing is more on-trend than letting your true personality shine through.
Claim each of these trends and kindle your own by mixing and matching stylish new ViX pieces into this year’s wardrobe. Whether you’re showing skin in a romantic, slouchy dress or pounding the pavement in a two-piece Barbie would envy, ViX designs were created to help you build a stylish wardrobe that feels like you—this year, next year, and beyond. Shop ahead for this season’s sweaters, next summer’s swimwear, and everything in between by browsing our collection today.
- Vogue. Valentino Resort 2023. https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/resort-2023/valentino
- Harper’s Bazaar. Kendall Jenner Bleached Her Eyebrows for Her Intense Met Gala Look. https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a39830026/kendall-jenner-met-gala-2022-bleached-eyebrows/
- WGSN. Introducing Digital Lavender as our Colour of the Year for 2023. https://www.wgsn.com/en/blogs/color-of-2023-digital-lavender
- Vogue. Eckhaus Latta Spring 2023 Ready-to-wear. https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2023-ready-to-wear/eckhaus-latta
- Grazia. The ‘Barbiecore’ Aesthetic is Here to Stay For a While. https://graziamagazine.com/us/articles/barbiecore-fashion-trend/
- Vogue. The Resort 2023 Trend Report. https://www.vogue.com/article/the-resort-2023-trend-report